- The company’s patent portfolio includes its own intellectual property and exclusive worldwide licenses, including in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia, Hong Kong, and China
- 180 Life Sciences is in the final stages of its merger process with KBL Merger Corp. IV, with the resulting entity to list on NASDAQ under the ticker “ATNF”
- The company is devoting its clinical-stage biotechnology research to producing solutions that will help battle inflammation. Its primary focus is to treat fibrosis and inflammation using anti-TNF therapy
- The estimated annual market size for anti-inflammatory therapeutics is projected to grow to an estimated $106.1 billion in 2020.
KBL Merger Corp. (NASDAQ: KBLM) (KBL Merger Corp. Rights NASDAQ: KBLMR) (KBL Merger Corp. Warrant NASDAQ: KBLMW), a Special Purpose Acquisition Corporation (SPAC) that has signed a detailed merger agreement with 180 Life Sciences Corp., announced that the company has continued to expand its IP portfolio. 180 Life Sciences Corp. is a clinical-stage biotech company currently in the developmental stage of three novel drugs. These drugs will fulfill the unmet need within the healthcare industry for inflammatory diseases, pain, and fibrosis.
The current patent portfolio that 180 Life Sciences Corp. has applied and received licenses for covers 14 patent families consisting of 42 patents issued and 32 pending in jurisdictions such as the United States, Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, and China (https://ibn.fm/ptO60).
The latest patent, granted on June 3 by the EU Patent and Trademark Office, is for methods of prevention or treatment of triggered inflammatory reactions using TNF alpha antagonist. “The issuance of our European patents significantly strengthens the IP portfolio governing our lead program,” 180 Life Sciences Corp. CEO Dr. James Woody said in the IP portfolio announcement.
“We are committed to broadening our global patent estate as we continue to expand our internal pipeline and increase patient access to innovative therapies,” Woody added. “Having this most recent patent awarded in the EU is important as it provides validation in the 12 largest countries in the EU, including the UK, and provides the platform to be able to expand clinical trials, commercialization, and partnering efforts throughout Europe. We look forward to achieving additional milestones by the end of 2020.”
On June 2, the company was granted a U.S. patent for the treatment of Dupuytren’s Disease, while on January 14, China granted a patent for synthetic CBD analog (“SCA”): cyclohexenyl compounds, compositions comprising them and uses. In addition, the company filed a patent for SCA bioactive phenolate ionic complexes in the U.S. on April 22 and one for method treating systemic fibrosis disorders using IL-33/TNF specific antibody, in Hong Kong on September 1.
The company’s patent portfolio comprises its own IP and exclusive worldwide licenses, including the Hebrew University, The Kennedy Trust for Rheumatology Research University of Oxford, Oxford University Innovation Limited, and Stanford University.
180 Life Sciences is currently conducting three clinical programs to address the following indications:
- A Phase 2b/3 trial on Dupuytren’s contracture, a fibroid disease of the hand, with expected results in Q1 2021
- A clinical study to be initiated for frozen shoulder with a grant awarded by the National Institute of Health Research, UK
- A current unmet need in the elderly population, especially those who undergo hip replacement – post-operative cognitive delirium disorder and dysfunction
In addition to the current clinical trials, 180 Life Sciences Corp. currently has preclinical discoveries focusing on developing unique, FDA-approved pharmaceutical-grade cannabinoids for arthritis treatment. It is also working with an a7nAChR program initially aimed at the treatment of ulcerative colitis after smoking cessation (https://ibn.fm/dS147).
These studies, along with its expanding IP portfolio, are helping the company position itself as a leader on the anti-inflammatory therapeutics market, which is expected to grow to an estimated $106.1 billion in 2020. The company’s merger with KBL Merger Corp. IV is also expected to strengthen its position, while also enabling it to go public.
An October 12, 2020 announcement by KBL Merger Corp. IV indicated that the Form S-4 that was filed with the SEC regarding the merger is now effective. The company has scheduled a Special Meeting of the Shareholders for October 26, 2020. Once the merger is complete, 180 Life Sciences Corp. will list on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol “ATFN.”
For more information, visit the company’s website at www.180LifeSciences.com.
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to 180 Life Sciences are available in the company’s newsroom at http://ibn.fm/180
QualityStocks is committed to connecting subscribers with companies that have huge potential to succeed in the short and long-term future. It is part of our mission statement to help the investment community discover emerging companies that offer excellent growth potential. We offer several ways for investors to learn more about investing in these companies as well as find and evaluate them.